Whatever befalls the earth,
Befalls the children of the earth.’
YORK REGION ENVIRONMENTAL ALLIANCE
Staying conscious of the interconnection between all things can help us think of our choices in terms of their impact on the environment and our natural resources. We need to ask ourselves these questions:
- Where is my food grown?
- Is it grown locally, using sustainable agriculture?
- Is it organic?
- What materials are my clothes made of?
- Were these clothes made by people receiving fair wages?
- Is the car I drive burning fossil fuels efficiently?
- Am I carpooling whenever possible or using the bus or a bike?
- Have I taken measures to retrofit my home so it is more energy efficient?
- What can I do to lead a more sustainable lifestyle?
YREA continuously explores these and many more questions.
WHO WE ARE
The York Region Environmental Alliance (YREA) is a not-for-profit, registered charitable organization #84559 0553 RR0001. We are dedicated to educating and increasing the public’s understanding of the environment and its importance by offering seminars, conferences and meetings and by collecting and disseminating information on related issues.
Through our mandate we strive to:
- Identify and raise awareness of environmental concerns which impact York Region and beyond
- Inspire and initiate ecologically sound and sustainable solutions to common community concerns that protect and improve the quality of the environment of York Region
- Promote healthy and environmentally sustainable personal lifestyle choices
- Effectively influence public policy and community behavioural changes