WHO WE ARE
York Region Environmental Alliance (YREA) is a not-for-profit, registered charitable organization (#84559 0553 RR0001).
Incorporated in 2002 to initially campaign against the cosmetic use of pesticides, YREA has continually expanded its mandate to address ecological issues that impact our health, the health of our environment and the planet. We have a strong record of working to influence public policy and community behaviour through initiatives and campaigns.
- To seek sustainable solutions that address climate change and lower greenhouse gas emissions (GHGE).
- To raise awareness of the impact of toxic substances on the environment and on human health and to campaign for the elimination of these substances.
- To promote healthy, environmentally sustainable lifestyle alternatives through presentations, workshops, education and outreach.
- To work with other government and non-government agencies, volunteers and members of the community to achieve our goals.
We believe that staying conscious of the interconnection between all things can help us think of our choices in terms of their impact on human & environmental health, our natural resources & our planet Earth. We need to ask ourselves questions such as these:
- Where is my food grown? Is it grown locally, using sustainable agriculture? Is it organic?
- Am I eliminating all possible toxins from my environment and food?
- What materials are my clothes made of? Were these clothes made by people receiving fair wages?
- Is the car I drive burning fossil fuels efficiently?
- Am I combining my errands to reduce car use, carpooling or using the bus or a bike whenever possible?
- Have I taken measures to retrofit my home so it is more energy efficient?
- What can I do to reduce my carbon footprint and lead a more sustainable lifestyle?
YREA continuously explores these and many more questions.
Our hands-on volunteer board of directors hails from the far reaches of York Region and approves, oversees, and is directly involved with YREA projects. We have a dedicated membership and volunteer base.
Part-time staff administer our day-to-day activities.
“Whatever befalls the earth,
Befalls the children of the earth.”
Board of Directors
Abdullah Abbas, President
Susan Sigrist, Secretary
Don Harfield, Biochar Technical Advisor
Gloria Marsh, Executive Director
Patty Ella, PME Management, Accountant